Dr. Nestor Castro, Professor of Anthropology of the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy of the University of the Philippines, was re-elected as President of the International Federation of Social Science Organizations (IFSSO) during its 22nd General Assembly at Seijo University in Tokyo last 31 May 2015. IFSSO is a federation of national social science research councils, universities with social science units, and non-governmental organizations doing applied social science research. IFSSO has member organizations and individuals from 18 countries, including the Philippines.
IFSSO was originally established in 1975 as the Conference of National Social Science Councils and Analogous Bodies. Its name was changed to IFSSO in 1979. IFSSO’s Since then, IFSSO’s Secretariat headquarters has moved from Copenhagen to Rome, Tokyo, Bangkok, and Manila. IFSSO is recognized by UNESCO as a Category B International Organization.
The principal objectives of IFSSO are as follows:
• To encourage international scientific activities and international cooperation in the social sciences for the benefit of mankind;
• To facilitate the coordination of the international scientific activities of its Members;
• To foster concern about contemporary social problems and to encourage the application of the social sciences in the search for solutions;
• To contribute to the development of the social sciences at the national and regional levels, particularly in developing countries and countries in transition;
• To further the exchange of information, experience and ideas among its Members;
• To foster cooperative ventures and mutual assistance in the planning and implementation of programmes of major importance to Members and
• To promote the free international movement of social scientists in the conduct of their research and other professional activities.
Aside from Dr. Castro, the other elected members of the IFSSO Executive Board are the following:
First Vice President – Dr. Kazuhisa Nishihara (Japan)
Second Vice President – Dr. I Ketut Ardhana (Indonesia)
Secretary General – Mr. Hakan Gulerce (Turkey)
Treasurer – Dr. Morad Moulai Hadj (Algeria)
Member – Dr. Yekti Maunati (Indonesia)
Member – Dr. Reda Malauskaite (Lithuania)
This is the third term of Dr. Castro as IFSSO President. He was first elected as President in 2011 in Lipa, Batanchas and again in 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey. CSSP is an associate member organization of IFSSO.
The IFSSO officials (Image taken from IFSSO website)